02 January 2014

Pony-fication and the fact that TV in the 80's and 90's was actually rather lasting

You know those shows that were cheesy in the eighties and nineties, but they just never seemed to die?  Power Rangers is on something like it's eighteenth or nineteenth incarnation (don't ask me what it is; I lost track sometime after the rangers started leaving the planet).  Transformers/Beast Wars is not only still an animated show, it's also had three blockbusters!  Strawberry Shortcake was even resurrected a couple of times.
Now it's My Little Pony- the show is called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (you know, if they're going to resurrect a classic, they should go on with Jem and the Holograms!).  This reincarnation of a nineties favorite is actually, unexpectedly, good!  Not only the animation styles (which are tending more towards the anime influences), but the storylines.  The storylines aren't juvenile or cheesy (okay, so maybe they're moderately cheesy, but not in a way that has grown-ups rolling their eyes and going "I can't believe I actually watched this as a kid") and the characters are actually relatable, for all that they're all horses of some sort.
What's really shocking about the newest My Little Pony is that not only does it have adult fans (I know, right?), it has adult fans of both genders.  There's even a name for them: bronies.
Don't look at me; I may make up words to suit my own purposes, but I did not come up with this moniker.  I'm merely passing it along.
Honestly, I just have two words to say about My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.  And those two words are: Pinkie Pie.
Dude, I don't even like the color pink that much (except for in October), and Pinkie's just...well, there's really no describing her, but here goes: element of laughter, Pinkie Pie seems to exist by her own set of rules, as she routinely (and blithely) bends or outright ignores the laws of physics to suit herself.  She gives the impression that she's psychic, she's quite strange, and has, on more than one occasion, been told to her face that she's completely random.
Of the Mane 6, she's my favorite.
Why should you care?
Who knows?
This topic was what I was thinking about at the moment I logged on, so this topic is what I chose to write about right now.  Don't like it, don't read it.  Not that you do anyway.
But think about it.  I mean, this was a popular concept thirty years ago.  We may look back and think that eighties and nineties shows were all cheese and no heart, but let's look at the facts.  Look at what's endured.  It's kind of impressive, really, how much of those decades still lives, technically, though the forms have changed and evolved, the heart of the things haven't changed much.

No comments:

Post a Comment