08 June 2014

Singlehood is no less important to a person's identity than being in a "relationship"

Here's something I find annoying:

Even Facebook considers single people to be somehow less than married, engaged, or relationally occupied people.  Not only does a single person's single status not appear on their feeds or profiles, people aren't even notified of a friend's single status when they break up or end a relationship.
There's something intensely wrong about that.  You know what?  I love being single.  I've noticed something over the past however many years.
I'm actually happier and less stressed when I am single than when I am in a relationship.

So why doesn't my singleness get to be shouted to the world like other people's relationships or engagements?

At the very least, it should show up on my profile.  That's only fair, really.  Marriage isn't the final goal of everyone's life, after all.  God can use single people often more effectively than he can use married people, since married people have a commitment to each other, whereas single people don't need to focus on loving and honoring anyone but God.

Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment