26 June 2014

It didn't start out as a tirade...

I have long been comfortable with the fact that I am a fuddy-duddy.  Let me clarify- I in no way think I am boring or that the life I choose to lead is in any way less than someone else's (except maybe in the area of romance, but I don't really want to get into that today).
You see, I don't like to travel.  I don't want to go to Europe every year or explore foreign lands and try new things.  Yes, I like to try some new things, but I prefer to do it at home.
My parents travel.  Boy, do they travel!  In the past fifteen years, they've gone more new places than I have ever had a desire to go in my entire life.  But I'm not like my parents.  In fact, sometimes I'll jokingly ask my mother if she's sure no one switched me with her real baby at the hospital. 

It's something I've gotten accustomed to defending, actually.  People hear about all of my parents' wonderful trips and ask me if I'm jealous or if I ever wan to go. 
I don't.  The only time I even get a little excited about traveling is when people bring up New Zealand or Ireland.  Otherwise, I'll keep my travels domestic, thank you very much.  I'm a homebody by nature, and an introvert.  I don't need the foreign travels.  My imagination (as well as the photos my parents inevitably bring home with them) are enough for me.  I love listening to their stories and I love it even more listening to their excitement as they tell those stories.
Just because I'm not out there going to other countries or meeting new people or trying new foods in those other countries does not mean I am not living my life.  Just because my life is different from theirs, or from yours, does not mean my life is less full or less complete than theirs or yours.
It just means I choose to spend my money on things closer to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment