26 October 2013

Ve'ahavta

Welcome!  To my blog.
I decided to start out running, because I had this already written and I wanted to post it.  I love having a smartphone.  The picture quality is better than anything I get with my actual camera.  So, again, welcome.


I have so many words that run through my head, so many thoughts.  But when it comes time to write them down or speak them out, they sort of…bottleneck.  They create a crush, a backup that blocks my mental pathways and makes it hard even to begin.

My mother is amazing.  She and God have a lot in common.  I thought that today, when I was walking in the sunshine, enjoying the weather and the time alone.  Not that my mom is godlike.  It’s just that, like God, my mom has this ability to say or do exactly what I need most, at the exact moment I need it said or done the most.  Obviously, not every time.  There are some times that she misses bigtime- but that’s usually when I’m not in the mood to listen to anything anyone says.  And nobody’s perfect, even I know that.  I’m coming to the point in my life where my mom no longer lives on the pedestal that was her home when I was a child.  It’s been…sobering.

But in a way, it’s also been…liberating.  It’s freeing, knowing that someone who ‘has it all together’ really…doesn’t.  We read the stories in the Bible, and there is so much there, so much to learn.  But there are so many details left out.  Like…

·         Was Ruth ever self-conscious when she was being obedient?  Did she ever feel too heavy or too thin? 

·         Did Moses ever have marital problems?  Did Tzipporah ever give him the silent treatment when she was angry with him?

·         Did any of the disciples leave behind wives or children to follow Jesus?  How did their families react to losing the income of their menfolk?

·         How many apostles or early Christians suffered from depression even after they accepted Christ?

I suffer from so many insecurities.  My weight, my appearance, whether or not I’m good enough- for my family, my friends, for God- whether or not I’ll succeed at anything worth doing.  It’s quiet suffering, you know, and it doesn’t leave a visible or obvious mark.  I’m not starving or homeless.  I’m clean and safe and surrounded by luxuries that I take for granted.  I’m healthy and I have a terrific family.  Someone on the outside would look at me and think, ‘what does she have to feel bad about?’

I sometimes wonder if my brother, my beautiful, sweet brother, is embarrassed to be seen in public with me.  I’m not a small woman.  If I was literally skin and bones and nothing else, I’d still not be skinny because I have a pretty massive skeleton (fortunately, I can honestly say I come by this naturally, as the whole paternal side of my family- and my maternal grandfather- have large, dense bones).  So I’m not looking to fit into a size 0, or whatever the smallest size is in fashion nowadays.  I just don’t want to feel like my family suffers when I’m around.

Do you know what that feels like?  To wonder whether the most important people in your life are embarrassed by your size?

There are days when I feel like nothing ever goes right.  When looking at myself in the mirror is physically painful and making myself smile and talk does nothing but drain every bit of energy and life from my body. 

And then there are days like today, when everything that happens just makes the day that much brighter, that much better.  When I spend time getting to know God and learning who I am, finding out how much my mother loves me, and through that, how much God loves me.  Days when I’m not ashamed of who I am.  I like these days best- who wouldn’t?- and I’m finding that I dread the other ones somehow less now.  Maybe that sounds odd.

I think I’m mad, you know.  It’s this quirk I have, this tendency to talk to imaginary people (I’m not talking about the out-loud prayers I sometimes pray when I go on walks) in my head.  My friend Sarah actually suggested I write a book to that effect, about my “ongoing congress with fictional entities” (my quote- I like it).  “Conversations with the Imaginary” or some such title.  A series of anecdotes about the various fictional characters I invite into my head and have conversations and sometimes even debates with.  Yes, I debate with characters from books.  And anime.  And movies.  In my head.

I’m crazy.  I came up with a list, in my journal, of all the different euphemisms for crazy.  That was actually a kind of fun project, but really only because I like lists.  My favorites were ‘barmy’ and ‘starkers.’  Did you know that ‘starkers’ also means naked?  Somehow, that correlation is HILARIOUS to me.  Who wouldn’t want to be nuts if they got to be ‘naked’ while doing it?

The thing about this kind of crazy is that…I think it’s an okay kind of crazy.  Not that it’s comforting, really.  I mean, I talk to invisible people because I’m lonely, but after the conversations end, I’m still lonely.  That doesn’t change.  But with my brain and my imagination running on constant overdrive, it’s an outlet I never thought of.  And isn’t there a saying somewhere, about all writers being a little crazy?  There should be.  Even if only because I’m a writer and I’m a little crazy. J

I’m going to try this thing my mom suggested.  She got the idea from her Californian friend from Peru.  That’s not my part of the story, but I just kind of wanted to put it like that. :P Anyway, the woman does this thing, where she takes a picture every day, sometimes of something her son is doing, sometimes just something she cooked- the picture doesn’t matter- just something that describes each day for her.  Three hundred sixty-five days a year, she takes these pictures and makes books for herself and her family, photo books that document her life.

I want to try that.  I have no idea where I’ll put them, but I know it’s something I want to try.  A picture’s worth a thousand words, right?  That’s a thousand words a day, even if I don’t add a description or explanation.

Right now, though…right now, I want to revel in the awesomeness that is the movie To Save a Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment