30 October 2013

Something fun out of all this

I've started a new reading system.  My list obsession has led me to keep a log of all the books I've read this year, as well as what date I started and what date I finished each.  Actually, it's a lot of fun.  But I have been dissatisfied with my monthly totals for the past couple of months, particularly after a rather lovely July in which I literally finished one book per day within the month.
So, I implemented a decision to start reading a series while at home versus taking my kindle to work.  This was a decision partly based on the hassle of hauling around the huge graphic novels- the things are heavy- and partly based on a decision I made in the eighth grade after a pretty traumatic experience to never take those books to school (or really out of the house) ever again.  Only for Katya did I break that rule, since it's so hard to find someone who loves ElfQuest as I do, within my social circles.
So far, the decision is working out well: I finished Blood of Ten Chiefs, Chief's Howl, Wolfrider, and Fire and Flight in the past three days.  I started on The Forbidden Grove last night, but, as I had work this morning, I set it aside, however reluctantly, and went to bed.
Left: 1996
Right: 2012
What intrigues me, though, is how much of things in the real world remind me of ElfQuest.  Here's a rather entertaining example that I found on the EQ facebook page this afternoon:
I love it.  I love that issue of Shards, too.  Whoever would have expected Strongbow, of them all, to put his life and trust (however momentary) in the hand of a human (pun intended- if you don't get it, I suggest you go find out for yourself here: Shards #13).
You know, this particular obsession of mine is almost twenty years old.  Can you believe it?  I started reading EQ in the fifth grade.  Over eighteen years ago.  Only a few things in my life have lasted longer.  I still remember what I paid for my first graphic novel- which I still have- the hardcover, glossy-paged, color version of the cheaper paperback Reader's Collection volume of Fire and Flight: $15.32 (that was with tax and Barnes and Noble in Westminster, Colorado). 
Currently, on average, the copy I have are selling for between $35-50 on ebay, and that- along with other auction sites- are the only places you can buy them anymore.  Before they revamped the site, elfquest.com was selling them for more than $100 apiece!
It's kind of funny sometimes how much things we loved as children stay with us into adulthood.  I never would have imagined that a book handed to me by a classmate to get me to shut up would become one of my most expensive- and pervasive- hobbies.
Gotta love the power of a story!

No comments:

Post a Comment