05 December 2013

Downton Blues

So, based on numerous recommendations in the past from people I know, like, and trust, I started watching Downton Abbey last night.  Overall, I loved the period feel of it; the interconnectivity of the lives of the highbrow and their servants...
I like how Bates said it: "We're surrounded by a pirate's treasure, and none of it's ours."
I did not, however, appreciate being thrown the curveball of homosexual smoochies out of nowhere!  WTH, guys!?  There was no point to the scene, no point to the relationship, and it literally came out of nowhere.  A couple- okay, maybe more than a couple- of reviewers on amazon suggested a liberal agenda in that scene, and I may or may not be inclined to agree with them.
The sad part is, I really liked the show up until then.  Sure, it's more like a period soap opera than a period miniseries, but let's be honest, politics and inheritances were a big deal back then.  Everybody was plotting something.  And I'll watch anything with Maggie Smith in it.
But really?  Violet was the real "dowager" personality; gotta love the boss lady.  Mary annoys me, Edith annoys me, and Siybl is just...airheaded.  The servants are awful!  If it's not Thomas and Ms. O'Brien plotting against Bates, it's Carson tattling to the earl.
I'm going to keep watching in hopes that it gets better.  If not, by the halfway point, I may actually stop watching it.  Which is sad.  Because I'd very much like to see what it is my friends see when they watch that can lead them to tell me the show's amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment