16 April 2014

I wondered how many I really knew by heart (meant to be posted on April 8)

"For I know the plans I have for you," said the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for a hope and a future." –Jeremiah 29:11
"Those who trust in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint; they will soar on wings like eagles." –Isaiah 40:31
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son; that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." –John 3:16
"In the beginning, there was the Word.  And the Word was with God and the Word was God." –John 1:1
"I have hidden your word away in my heart, so I might not sin against you." –Psalm 119:11
"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." –Genesis 1:1
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not upon your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." –Proverbs 3:5-6
"If you think you are standing strong, be careful, for you too may fall into the same sin." -1 Corinthians 10:12
"These three remain: faith, hope, and love.  But the greatest of these is love." -1 Corinthians 13:13
"Ask and it will be given to you. Seek, and you will find.  Knock, and the door will be opened to you.  For all who ask, receive, all who seek, find, and all who knock are welcomed in." –Matthew 7:7
"Take heart, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world." -1 John 4:4
"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life.  No one comes to the Father except through me." –John 14:6
"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." –Philippians 4:13

Off the top of a really tired brain, those are the ones I remember word for word, along with their associations.  I'm sure there are more; I remember most of 1 Corinthians 13, and Psalm 23.  I remember verses without being sure of their references, like "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" which I think is Romans 8: 23 or Romans 3:23.
What's sad?  I used to remember more than this.  It just shows how far I have fallen.  How long it's been since I actively practiced a living, growing faith.  But you know what?  I can change it.  And I think this time I shall change it.  Starting with my memory of verses.  I want to accept Rick Warren's challenge to memorize a Bible verse every week for the rest of my life.  If nothing else, it will "stock" my spiritual "arsenal."  I believe it was Pastor Warren himself who equated memorizing Scripture with buying bullets for my spiritual "gun."
Personally, I prefer swords and arrows to bullets.  Call me a traditionalist. J

No comments:

Post a Comment