22 April 2014

Social media sucks

I resent Facebook.

Not re-sent, but resent.  As in, I feel a stab of resentment whenever I check my Facebook news feed.  Which also, I suppose, makes me a masochist, since I check it every time I connect to the internet.

On that same note, I'm actually considering getting rid of my Facebook page.  On the one hand, it is moderately convenient to be able to look at Facebook and see how friends and family in other states are doing.  But on the other, it wastes so much of my time, and I'm tired of getting news second-hand.  If I don't warrant first-hand updates, then I'd rather not get them at all.

Sounds selfish and childish of me, I know.  But when your best friend gets engaged, you don't want to find out from Facebook.  You want to find out from them.  Social media sites (and I'm not just talking about Facebook now) have made us lazy.  We went from letters and thank you notes, to emails and phone calls, to texts and tweets within a ten year period of time, and...well, it's kind of sickening.  We no longer have to put forth any effort to let people know they're important to us, so we make the whole world our best friend.

I don't know the whole world.  I don't want to know the whole world.  But I want my friends to know they're important to me.

Sending them a Facebook message doesn't quite convey the feeling appropriately.

No comments:

Post a Comment