20 February 2014

Praise for the little things

You know, I just had a lightbulb moment.  You know, those moments where you suddenly understand something you hadn't consciously grasped before?
It's nothing major.  It's nothing really noteworthy, unless you're me.  But I just realized how long it's been since I thanked God for all of the "little things".  Oh, I thank him for my family and my health and my job, etc.  But when was the last time I simply said "my headache's gone, thank You"?  Or gave thanks for a good night's sleep?

Last night, I had one of the worst headaches I've had in a long time; we're talking full on mini-migraine with nausea, motion-, light-, smell- and noise-sensitivity.  When I woke up this morning, it was gone,  Come to think of it, I slept pretty well, considering I was up writhing in pain until almost 430 this morning and I had to sleep curled up on a loveseat (this client doesn't have a bed for the caregivers, so I sleep on whatever is currently the most comfortable; last night it was the loveseat).

The OCD part of me is clamoring for me to make a list of all the "little things" I'm thankful for.  But there are so many!  That's the nature of little things, you know.  They aren't obvious or showy.  Oftentimes, they're the things we most take for granted in ourselves, our lives, and in our relationships with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment