03 November 2013

When thoughts provoke

Here's a thought that was provoked; today was the last message in a sermon series on fear.  The topic title was "Fear of Change that Threatens Security".  Now, most anyone who knows me knows that I abhor change.  Not just change that threatens security, but change, period.  I like having things the same.
What really stuck in my attention for the sermon is this: "Trusting God does not remove the ambiguities of life."  When you think about it for a minute, it's almost odd that that should be such a revelation to me.  It's more like a common sense thing.  But it really struck me for some reason.
The message used as its illustration the book of Habbakuk, the whole three chapters of it.  What I enjoy about that book is that it is an actual conversation.  Between God and the prophet.  It deals with the changes happening and those needing to happen in Israel at the time, but I noticed something during the reading of the chosen verses today: Habbakuk is a message to Americans at the current point in history.  I don't think I've ever noticed that before, or  if I did, it's not something I wanted to dwell on too closely.  Because...remember how all those "superior" societies actually fared in Biblical times?  That's not exactly a pleasant direction to be headed in, hey?
But it does make you think.  Here's another point to consider, from Leo Tolstoy to my pastor, to you: "Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."
The thing is, not all changes have to be immediate or startlingly dramatic.  That's the kind of change I hate.  I hate the ones that come suddenly and change everything.  But I am coming to discover that not all changes are like that.  Sometimes the best changes come slowly and gradually; one day you wake up and realize that your life is different, your character is different, but there's no way to pinpoint exactly when it happened.
Praise God for that.
Today, in case you don't know, is the International Day of Prayer.  Today is a day for B.A.S.I.C. prayers.  It stands for Brothers And Sisters In Chains.  We're supposed to pray for the persecuted Christians the world over. 
You don't often see a lot of overt Christian persecution in America, but it is a fact of life in many countries.  And it is threatening to become more common even here.
Faith and strength to those who love Christ!

Today is family photo day.  It was kind of funny.  I slept all day yesterday and woke up at around midnight.  I've been up since then, periodically getting ready.  I took a shower, then watched a couple episodes of Smallville.  Then I put on my makeup, which took a few tries because I kept extending my eyeliner too far.  And then I changed my mind about my outfit because I realized that I had worn the same sweater for family photos two years ago.  Which meant changing my makeup again, since red and black didn't go with the pink and purple eyeshadow I had chosen.  Watched another episode of Smallville.  Then I did my hair- do you know how long it takes to curl twenty inches of hair?  OMG, I don't think I want to curl my hair again until after I cut it!  Then I decided I wanted to wear a skirt, which necessitated changing my top.  Fortunately, I didn't need to redo my makeup again because I'd decided to go with a neutral color palette.
So I was almost fancy for church, which was kind of fun, particularly when I got to see a bunch of people I haven't seen in a while- I'm not normally able (or willing) to go to first service.  The past couple months I've been working an 8-10 shift on Sunday mornings, then going to second service.  Add to that the fact that I am decidedly NOT a morning person and I rarely, if ever, go to the first service. 
There are benefits, however.  Getting there early was nice, which meant getting a parking spot close to the front doors.
I miss family time, you know.  It's been one of those gradual changes I mentioned before.  I used to see my parents a couple times a week- or my mom, at least.  Now, I see them both once a week on Sundays, either before or after church, for about 20-30 minutes, depending on whether I go before or after church.  So today (and next week, which is Thanksgiving- don't panic, the rest of the country celebrates Thanksgiving at the end of the month), I'll get to spend the whole day with my family.  It's nice.
And hopefully, I'll see Justin four whole times this month!  We have two movies to hit on our "movie of the month" crusade this month: Thor: the Dark World and Catching Fire.  I am still hoping to also get to Frozen, but I don't know if brother will want to go to that one with me. :)
Adios!  God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment